Carrot and Red Onion Soup
Member recipe by Aaron Goodall
A sweet, fresh and thick soup perfect for lunch or a starter any time of the year.
- 600g Carrots chopped
- 140g Red lentils
- 1L Vegetable stock
- 1 Large red onion, sliced
- 1 Tomato, skinned and chopped
- 3 Cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp Herbs de provence
- Pinch of salt
- A good grind of black pepper
- Briefly sort through the lentils, removing any odd ones.
- Place all the ingredients into a large sauce pan, that has a lid, bring to the boil on the hob and allow it to boil for 10 minutes with the lid on. Stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to the minimum and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are thoroughly cooked and the liquid is cloudy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool with the lid off for around 10 minutes to prevent any splashes from burning you.
- Blend the mixture in the pan with a hand blender or in batches in a jug blender.
- Serve with another grind of pepper on top and some warmed crusty bread.