Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
Member recipe by frombatoparis
- For the Caramelised Almonds you will need:
- * whole almonds, 150gr
- * sugar, 75gr
- * water, 15gr
- For the Dulce de Leche Icecream ( 800gr aprox), you will need:
- * unskimmed milk, 250gr
- * heavy cream, 250gr
- * dulce de leche, 400
- * egg yolks, 4
- * rhum, 5gr
- * food colouring (caramel colour) if your dulce de leche is not dark enough.
- For the almonds: Put the sugar and water in a thick pan, over a medium heat. When the sugar reaches 110ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C (5'), pour all the almonds at a time. Stir continously with a wooden spoon. There, you'll panic because the sugar will turn into something like sand ! this is because the water has evaporated. Don't worry, keep on stirring and little by little sugar will turn into caramel (it doesn't happen instantly; it takes 10' aprox.)
- When the almonds have a nice caramel colour and are well coated, remove the pan from the fire, scatter the almonds on a Silpat, with the help of two forks coated in oil. Let them cool.
- For the icecream:Whisk the yolks with the dulce de leche. If you don't have ready made dulce de leche, you can follow any recipe with condensed milk can in internet. Check the colour. It should be really dark otherwise it won't look as dulce de leche...add some caramel food colouring if necessary
- Then, put the milk and cream in a saucepan and take it to a boil. Then, proceed like for a "crÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ¨me anglaise": pour a little bit of the cream/milk mixture on the yolks/dulce de leche, combine well, then pour the yolks mixture into the rest of the cream/milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cream coats the back of a spoon. Let it cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- Then, churn in your ice-cream maker as indicated by manufacturer. Some minutes before it is ready, add in the caramelised almonds (you can cut them in halves if you want to). For extra indulgence, you can also fold in some teaspoonfuls of dulce de leche. Freeze. Enjoy it!!!