Hearty Pea Cakes
Member recipe by mangion
- 1 pack short crust pastry
- 1 tin marrow peas in water
- 2 rashers back bacon
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- 1 beaten egg
- salt and pepper
- Thickly slice the onion and fry it in olive oil until transperant
- Add the bacon and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the drained marrow peas and cook for a few minutes until they stew
- Remove from the heat and season. Mash the mixture.
- Roll out the pastry and cut into circles. (1 tin makes 5 small cakes or 2 big ones.
- Spoon the mixture in the middle of the circle and bring the ends together. You can make small pleats in order to finish the cakes off neatly. The cake mixture sits at the bottom of the cake. The pleats help to semi close it. When you look at the cake from the top you should see some of the mixture in the middle.
- Brush with the beaten egg
- Place on a greased baking tin and and bake until they start to turn golden.