Oriental Sticky BBQ Chicken
Member recipe by zetallgerman
Add an exotic "kick" to your summer weekend grill time; no barbeque is complete without this dish at our house!
- 6 chicken drumsticks, preferably free-range
- 6 chicken wings, preferably free-range
- For the marinade:
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 1 fresh ginger, 3cm piece, peeled & grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Slash the chicken drumsticks 3-4 times each with a sharp knife and place in a non-metallic bowl with the chicken wings. Mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Leave to marinate for min. 2 hours, or overnight if you can.
- Once marinated, place the chicken on the barbeque over medium-hot coals and cook for about 20 min, brushing all over with the marinade as it cooks. (if it's colouring too quickly, move to a cooler part of the barbecue to cook gently.)
- Cook until the marinade and skin have caramelized to a slightly dark crisp.
- If you're unsure whether they're done, pierce a drumstick with a skewer: if the juices are still pink, carry on cooking for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle with a few sesame seeds before serving.