Portugese custard tarts
Member recipe by katiesouthern
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Tartlets
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 115g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 230ml/7¾fl oz double cream
- 170ml/5½fl oz milk
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Put the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a saucepan and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the cream and milk until smooth.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 12-hole (80ml/2Â½fl oz) muffin tin.
- Cut the pastry sheet in half, put one half on top of the other and set aside for five minutes. Roll up the pastry tightly from the shorter-sided end and cut the pastry log into twelve 1cm/ÃÂÃÂ½in rounds. Lay each pastry round on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out until each is 10cm/4in in diameter.
- Press the pastry rounds into the holes in the muffin tin. Spoon the cooled custard into the pastry cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry and custard are golden.
- Leave the tarts in the tin for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.