Member recipe by bunnymad
- For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 pack unsmoked back bacon (about 8 rashers), chopped into 2cm squares
- 12 pork chipolata sausages
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- For the mashed potato topping:
- 900g potatoes, peeled and cut into smaller pieces for boiling if necessary
- 40g butter or margarine
- 50ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 22 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan then add the sliced onion. Fry until softened then add to a casserole dish.
- Re-use your non-stick frying pan to fry the bacon. You should not need to add any oil due to the non-stick coating. Once cooked, remove any liquid released during cooking then layer the bacon on top of the onions in the casserole dish.
- Re-use the non-stick frying pan once more to cook the sausages. Make sure they are cooked through before layering them on the top of the bacon in the casserole dish.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes on top of the sausages.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the heat and drain. Then mash them with the butter/margarine and milk until there are no lumps.
- Put the mashed potato on the top of the onions, bacon, sausages and chopped tomatoes, using a fork to make a pattern in the top.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until heated through and browned on top. Enjoy!