spicy spag bol
Member recipe by daisymai
Simple spaghetti bolognaise with a kick. You can adjust the spices according to taste. I sometimes leave the garam masala out altogether. This is a firm favourite in our house and usually what I cook when stuck!!!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (according to taste)
- 1 or 2 small red chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1lb lean minced beef
- 1 small tin tomato paste(about 5 or 6 tbsps)
- 1/2 pint beef stock
- Ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped (optional)
- Spaghetti (or fusilli) for 4 (check mfrs instructions)
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a casserole dish and add the onion, garlic and chilli(es). Cook, stirring, until soft.
- Next add the spices and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the minced beef and stir until brown. Then stir in the tomato paste and beef stock. Stir well and season with pepper.
- Finally add the carrots and celery, bring to the boil and then simmer for 40 minutes
- Serve with spaghetti or fusilli (or similar) and freshly grated parmesan if liked.