Orangey Moroccan Chicken
Member recipe by janeedlington
- 2 Chicken Legs (leg and thigh)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 100ml dry white wine
- Half a chicken stock cube made up with 50ml of water
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 220g can butter beans
- Half a tbsp cornflour
- For the marinade:
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Half a tsp garlic powder
- Half a tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Half a tsp coarsely ground rock salt
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- Half a tsp chili powder
- Juice of 1 orange (use the same orange for the zest)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1. To make the marinade, mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the chicken making sure it is submerged in the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- 2. Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add the chicken and half of the juices from the marinade and fry until the chicken is brown.
- 4. Add the sugar, wine, butter beans, stock and orange zest. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 5. Cover and turn the heat right down, simmering for 1 and a half hours. Turn the chicken after 45 minutes of cooking.
- 6. When the chicken is cooked, remove it. Add the corn flour and boil the sauce for a few minutes until it becomes syrupy.
- 7. Serve the chicken with the sauce drizzled over the top. This goes well with plain couscous.