Member recipe by moozikgal
Creamy chicken with spinach and mushrooms, best served with boiled rice
- 250g fresh spinach, stems removed,and washed
- 60g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 200g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 80ml dry white wine
- 1tbs flour
- 250ml cream fresh
- 125g grated mature cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c 160c for fan oven or gas mark 4. De-stalk the spinach if needed, place in colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over to wilt, leave to drain. When cool, squeeze out excess water and chop up. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place spinach in a oven proof baking dish.
- In a large frying pan, melt 30g of butter and cook onions until soft and golden. Remove onions from pan and add to the spinach and mix together.
- Add diced chicken to pan with a little seasoning with a little more butter and brown chicken all over. Once browned, remove from pan and place on a warm plate and set aside.
- Put the last of the butter in the pan and add the crushed garlic and mushrooms and cook until soft. Once soft add the flour to the pan and coat the mushrooms in the flour. Add the white wine and stir quickly to make a thick sauce. Turn down the heat and slowly add the cream fresh to make a lovely sauce. Add the chicken back to the pan and thoroughly coat with the sauce.
- Place the chicken, mushrooms and sauce on to of the spinach in the oven proof dish. top with the grated cheese. Add a little grated nutmeg to the cheese.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve with boiled rice and a glass of chilled white wine.