Member recipe by coco-rose
A wonderful recipe for midweek meals, being cheap and easy to make.
- 450g good-quality minced beef
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- splash of Worcestshire sauce
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- For the mash:
- 700g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to fan 180c, 160c, gas mark 6. In a saucepan, gently fry the onion and carrot until soft. Turn up the heat a notch and quickly brown off the mince.
- Add the tomato puree, stock cube, Worcestshire sauce, mixed herbs and 1/2 pint of freshly boiled water from the kettle. Gently simmer for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil for about 20 minutes until soft. Drain well and mash with plenty of butter, warmed milk and salt and pepper.
- Pile the filling into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden on top.