Aubergine & Garlic Caviar
Member recipe by mizzy999
Delicious puree of aubergine laced with garlic and onions. Ideal as a starter or a dip.
- 1 large aubergine (or 2 small ones)
- 1 large onion (sliced finely)
- 4-8 garlic cloves (peeled & pounded to a paste)
- 1/2 inch ginger (peeled & pounded to a paste)
- 2 green chillies (sliced finely)
- 2 spring onions (sliced finely)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 oz butter (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt (to garnish)
- Wash aubergine and dry it. Stick it firmly on a skewer or fork and roast over a gas flame. Leave it over the flame until a side of it chars black, turning it to ensure all of the aubergine chars black. You will know it is cooked as it will leak fluid and become soft. Insert a knife into it to check if it slides in easily, if it does not, cook it more on that side. When it is cooked, carefully transfer to a bowl. Let it cool. You could roast the whole aubergine in the oven, but it will totally lack the lovely smoky flavour. Alternatively, you could roast in on a barbecue.
- When the aubergine is cool enough to handle, carefully peel off the charred skin. It should come away easily, but if tiny bits of the skin remain, don't worry, it adds to the flavour! Chop up the flesh and mash it slightly with a potato masher. Keep some texture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add onions. Cook on a low heat, stirring often until the onions turn golden and caramalise.
- Add the garlic and ginger and chillies and cook for 3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the curry powder (if using), butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped coriander, spring onions and lemon juice. Swirl with yogurt and serve with pitta bread crisped in the oven.