Lamington tray bake
Member recipe by carolynjill
ServingsServes 1 - 24 Squares
This is based on a popular Australian recipe. You can vary the topping to suit your tastes. It can be decorated and transported in the baking tray, if you're taking it somewhere.
- 340g softened butter
- 265g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 135ml milk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 340g self-raising flour
- for the icing:
- 150g chocolate (milk or dark)
- 70ml double cream
- 30g dessicated coconut or smarties or mini eggs etc
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a large baking tray (approx 22*33cm).
- Beat the sugar and butter together until thick and creamy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time. Stir in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Fold the flour in gently. Do not beat.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and smooth the top with a knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the chocolate over a bowl of hot water and add the cream a little at a time, stirring well. Pour over the cake and spread evenly, covering the whole cake.
- When the chocolate topping is cool, but not quite set, decorate with coconut, smarties, mini eggs or whatever else! If you use smarties or mini eggs, it's a good idea to arrange them in lines so that it will be easy to cut the cake into squares.
- When you are ready, cut into 24 squares and transfer to a serving plate.