Member recipe by katiedorey
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz whole fresh chicken
- 100g/4oz smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 500g/1lb 2oz new potatoes
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml/16floz chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g/4oz frozen peas
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- Oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. In a large hob proof casserole dish, heat up the oil. Brown the whole chicken, turning occasionally, remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the casserole dish, fry for a few mins then add potatoes and thyme. Add the chopped tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stir together then add the stock. Returnt he chicken to the dish and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for 30mins in the oven, then uncovered for another 30.
- Add the peas and leeks to the pot and continue cooking for 10mins. Carve the chicken, spoon over the vegetables and broth in bowls.