Paella-style dirty rice
Member recipe by katiedorey
veggie version of 'dirty rice' using kidney beans instead of chicken livers.
- 350g long grain rice
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2litres vegetable stock, hot
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- small handful chopped fresh coriander
- 2 handfuls baby spinache
- 150g okra, blanched
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- pinch smoked paprika
- Put the rice, cumin and stock in a large saucepan over a high heat. Bring the boil and simmer for 15mins or until the rice is just cooked and most of the stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery, cook for 6-8mins until soft but not coloured.
- Take the cooked rice off the heat, add the onion mixture and add the onion mixture and all the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Serve with soft boiled eggs or as a side to a larger meal
- Per serving: 590kcal, 9.4g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 25.5g protein, 112.3g carbs, 7.6g sugar, 0.8g salt