Chicken and Leek Pie
Member recipe by lizzynarraway
Found this on bbc food, by Camelia Terry, but I've modified it a little bit for the student cook on a bit of a budget
- 100g/3ÃÂ½oz salted butter
- 150ml/5fl oz olive oil
- 4 diced chicken breasts
- 3 leeks, cut into 1cm/ÃÂ½in slices
- a handful of mushrooms
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 75g/2ÃÂ½oz plain flour
- 200ml7fl oz white wine
- 250ml/9fl oz hot chicken stock
- 150ml/5ÃÂ½oz double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 free-range egg, yolk only, for glazing
- pinch salt, for glazing
- 100g puff pastry
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 7. Place the mushrooms into a bowl, cover with hot water and sit for 20 minutes
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat; when the butter is foaming, add the chicken pieces and cook for 5-6 minutes until cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a warm plate, and add the leeks and mushrooms to the pan, cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened. Return the chicken and stir in thyme. If the mixture is a little dry, add some butter.
- Add the flour to the mixture, stirring continuously until it has absorbed the fat and juices, add the wine and stir until smoothly combined.
- Add the hot mushroom and chicken stock, stir in with the double cream and seasoning. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Roll out the pastry until large enough for the dish in which you will bake the pie. Place the chicken mixture in the dish, and lay on top the pastry, sealing around the edges. Prick the pastry with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Whisk the egg with the salt and brush on top of the pie. Place in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes