3 cheese stuffed chicken
Member recipe by tishnoonan
Anthony Worral Thomsons 3 cheese stuffed chicken recipe... We serve this with gnocchi in a creamy tomato sauce
- 2 large Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- sprinkling of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of Parma ham
- For the stuffing
- 85g Ricotta cheese
- 85g buffalo mozzarella, finely chopped
- 55g Parmesan, grated
- 55g Parma ham, finely chopped
- small handful Basil
- pinch of freshly grated Nutmeg
- black pepper
- Conversion Calculator
- 1. First make the stuffing. Mix the three cheeses, Parma ham, basil nutmeg and seasoning in a large bowl. Divide the mixture into two equal portions. Cover with cling film and set aside.
- 2. Lay one of the chicken breasts out flat, smooth side down, on a chopping board. Remove the small arrow-shaped fillet attached to the main body of the chicken breast and set aside. Take a sharp knife and cut a slash the length of the chicken, from the thick end to the pointed end all the way down the centre of the chicken breast, being careful to only cut half way through the meat. Carefully make similar lengthwise cuts along the sides of the long cut and fold back the 'flaps' and open the chicken breast out.
- 3. Place the chicken breast under a piece of cling film on a chopping board. Using a meat mallet, rolling pin or equivalent gently beat the chicken until it is an even thickness all over. Don't be too heavy-handed otherwise the implement will penetrate the chicken flesh. Then beat out the small chicken fillet to a similar thickness.
- 4. Take half of the stuffing in your hand and mould it to a torpedo shape. Place it down the centre of the beaten chicken breast, from the thick end to the thin end. Place the smaller beaten fillet over the top of the stuffing and roll the chicken around the stuffing, trying to make sure the thick end is well tucked in so that none of the stuffing can leak out. Rub the skin with olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5. Place two slices of Parma ham on the work surface and roll the ham around the torpedo shaped chicken. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- 6. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat on the hob and brown the chicken on all sides, seamed side down first, so that the Parma ham turns golden and crispy. This should take no longer than 1-2 minutes if your pan is hot enough. Note: the dish can be prepared ahead to this point. Allow the chicken to cool and then place on a plate, covered with cling film and put it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it for your dinner party. Remember to remove the chicken from the refrigerator thirty minutes before you want to use it, to allow it to come back up to room temperature.
- 7. Place the chicken breasts on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven to 200C/gas 6 for 15 minutes until cooked. The chicken should be quite firm to the touch; don't be tempted to cut the chicken open to check, or your cheese stuffing will leak out. Serve immediately.