- 85g pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges, leaving root intact
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 large lean steak, around 300g, trimmed of any excess fat
Steak is essentially a boneless thick or thin slice of red meat, cut across the grain of a large…
- ½ x 100g bag watercress, roughly chopped
With deep green leaves, and crisp, paler stems, watercress is related to mustard and is one of…
- juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve (optional)
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
Put the pearl barley in a large pan of water. Bring to the boil and cook vigorously for 25-30 mins or until tender. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6. Put the peppers on a baking tray with the onion wedges, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil and roast for about 20 mins until tender.
While the peppers are roasting, rub the steak with a little bit of oil and season. Cook in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 mins each side, or to your liking. Set aside to rest for a few mins. Mix the cooked peppers and onions into the barley. Stir though the watercress, lemon juice and some seasoning. Thinly slice the steaks, place on top of the salad and serve with lemon wedges, if you like.