Norwegian Onion Soup
Member recipe by julesthenorweegie
A nice easy recipe that is O so tasty! I found it in a Norwegian cook book Norges Nasjonalretter - En Matglad Reise I Vårt Eget Land, p. 75. Five ingredients, anyone can make it!
- 600 g onion, about three large ones, halved and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp butter (I used Flora Light)
- 1 1/2 l beef stock (3-3 1/2 cubes of stock cubes will do!)
- Salt and pepper to taste, reserve some whole black peppercorns
- Crutons to serve:
- White bread cut into rounds topped with cheese and melted in the middle of the oven on medium heat. Serve each bowl topped with one of these crutons for a more filling bowl 'o soup!
- Brown the onion in the casserole you'll be making the soup in and brown the sliced up onion. Once softened, add the beef stock and boil until it has reduced a little. Season to taste and add half a teaspoon of whole peppercorns.
- Ladle the soup into bowl, add some more peppercorns to each, and optionally serve topped with a bread cruton, and enjoy! So simple, isn't it?
- About 80 calories per serving without the crutons. I served it with toasted rye bread with plenty of Flora light instead - Enjoy!