Steak and Kidney Pie
Member recipe by voice1
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Pie
Steak and Kidney Pie With Port and Pickled Walnuts. Opies pickled walnuts are harvested before the shell forms. Cooked and marinated in a secret spiced malt vinegar recipe, they are then packed into jars by hand.
- 500 grams diced chuck steak
- 200 grams diced kidney
- 300 ml Ruby Port
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 100 grams Opies pickled walnuts sliced
- 400 ml beef stock
- 500 grams puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- Oil for frying
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Heat a large frying pan with a little oil. Add half the steak and kidney and fry for a few minutes turning now and then to seal.
- Repeat with the rest and transfer to a large rimmed casserole dish.Place the onions and garlic into the frying pan and stir in the port. Bring to the boil and cook until reduced by half.
- Place in the casserole dish with the meat. Add the walnuts and mix together. Pour over the beef stock, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Turn up the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Roll out the pastry 2 inches larger than the casserole dish. Reserve. Use the trimmings to roll out a strip of dough for the rim of the dish.
- Brush the rim of the dish with water and place the strip of pastry on the rim, press down well. Brush the strip of pastry with water and cover the dish with the reserved pastry. Press down well to seal it to the strip.
- Trim the excess and brush with the beaten egg.
- Make two small slits in the centre to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20, 30 minutes until the pastry has puffed and is golden brown.