Asparagus and Pea Risotto
Member recipe by moirawillis
Delicious vegetarian recipe that takes a lot of stirring but worth it!
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetarian or vegan margarine
- 4 shallots, sliced (for sweetness)
- 2 red onions, sliced (for colour)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500g arborio rice
- 300ml dry white wine
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 packs of young asparagus spears, snapped and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 100g frozen garden peas
- 200g vegetarian italian parmesan or substitute with parmesan style soy cheese for a vegan risotto (available from most good health food shops), grated.
- Ground mixed peppercorns
- Pinch salt
- Melt margarine in large pan and add the shallots, onions, and garlic, coating them well and sweating them on a low heat for about 1-2 minutes
- add the arborio rice stirring well ensuring all the grains are well coated. Add more margarine if necessary.
- Keep on a low heat and keep stirring until the rice starts to turn translucent (can take about 15 minutes).
- Add a small quantity of wine at a time and it will quickly be absorbed as you keep stirring. Continue until all the wine has been added and absorbed.
- Next do the same with the half of the stock, just gradually add a little at a time and add more until it has been absorbed. Now add the ground pepper and a little salt, then the asparagus
- Start adding the remainder of the stock, the peas and the 3/4 of the grated parmesan, stirring continually.
- Keep stirring until all the stock has been absorbed. The risotto should have a creamy consistency, with the rice and vegetables cooked 'al dente'.
- If more cooking is required, just add a little more stock and keep stirring.
- Serve right away, garnished with the remainder of the grated parmesan and a few sprigs of parsley.
- Serve up with a nice glass of chilled white wine.