Whole Lamb Shoulder
Member recipe by grillstock
- Whole lamb shoulder including neck section
- California Rancher Santa Maria Seasoning
- Ballpark/ Swedish yellow mustard
- Fresh thyme
- Onion, carrots & celery
- 1 bottle red wine
- Tomato puree
- Rinse the lamb shoulder and pat dry with kitchen roll
- Smear the whole joint in yellow ballpark/swedish mustard and then liberally coat with California Rancher Santa Maria Seasoning finishing with a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves
- Leave covered in the fridge for at least 4 hrs, then remove 45 mins before you plan to cook.
- Set your BBQ up to cook indirectly at around 120C. A smoker is great for this. Then set the lamb on the grill with a small handful of woodchips on the coal - nothing too strong as we don't want to overpower. Allow to cook for around 2-3 hrs.
- Whilst this is cooking - chop up a couple of onions, carrots and stalks of celery. Saute gently with half a dozen cloves of garlic then pour in a bottle of red wine and a generous squeeze of tomato puree.
- Cook this mixture down for 20 mins then set aside.
- When the lamb has developed a golden crispy hue, it's time to start phase two - the braise. Tip your veg mix into a baking tray then sit the lamb on top. Cover tightly with two layers of thick foil.
- This can either be put in a low oven or back on the smoker/BBQ. Either way it will need another 3-4 hrs. A good way to tell it is done is to wiggle the bone - if it is loose then you're done and you should be able to cut the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Strain the veg and juice out of the tray, separate the fat then simmer down to reduce and use as gravy.