Member recipe by wilmaandfreddie
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Portions
I use this recipe as a side dish for any meat. It can be casseroled in the oven but I prefer to slow cook as I can then leave it to cook overnight. When cooked this can be frozen into portion size dishes.
- 906g (2lb) Red Cabbage shredded finely
- 453g (1lb) Onions, chopped small
- 453g (1lb) Cooking Apples, chopped small
- 3tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 whole Nutmeg, grated
- 1.4 level tspn Cinnamon
- 1/4 level tspn Ground Cloves
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Into a large casserole dish or slow cooker, arrange layers of red cabbage with salt and pepper, then the chopped onion and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar.
- Continue with alternate layers until all is in the pot.
- Pour over the wine vinegar with a knob of butter
- Allow 2 - 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool then pot up in portions and freeze. Serve hot with any meats.