Raspberry and Lime Squares
Member recipe by rfenwick
ServingsServes 1 - 9 Squares
Fruity sponge squares with a zingy icing. Easy to make and easy to eat!
- 175g Caster sugar
- 175g Soft butter/margarine
- 250g Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 Eggs
- Splash of milk
- Generous handful of Raspberries
- 1 Lime, juiced (use 1 tbsp, save the rest for icing)
- For Icing
- 250g Icing sugar (approx)
- Lime juice (as above)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 5. Lightly grease a square baking tin
- Beat sugar and butter together until light and creamy. Gradually add the flour and baking powder until smooth. Add eggs and stir. If the mixture is stiff, add a splash of milk to soften.
- Mash the raspberries in a bowl or with a pestle. Add 1 tbsp of lime juice and add to the cake batter. Fold the mixture lightly.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, making sure it is even. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, until springy to touch. TIP: use a knife to test the middle. If the mix sticks to the knife, it's not cooked. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out on to a cooling rack.
- For the icing - gradually add the lime juice to the icing sugar to make a runny paste. When the cake is cool, drizzle over the icing or completely cover, as desired. Cut into 9 squares and serve on it's own or with cream or ice-cream.