Portuguese Peas with Eggs
Member recipe by gailcanhoto
- 1 kg frozen peas
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 spicy Portuguese smoked sausage (chourico), sliced
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 eggs
- small bunch of fresh chopped coriander
- salt and pepper
- 400ml boiling water
- In a saucepan, gently fry the onion, garlic, sausage and bay leaf in olive oil, until the onion has softened a little and the sausage has started to release its juices.
- Add the frozen peas and 400 ml hot water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover pan with a lid and simmer until the peas are cooked - approx 15 minutes.
- Remove lid from pan, crack open each egg one by one into the peas mixture. Replace the lid and allow the eggs to poach in the peas mixture until cooked.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle the coriander over and serve, ensuring that each person gets an egg and a few slices of the sausage. Delicious served with fresh crusty bread.