Parsnip,coconut and lime cake
Member recipe by superspatula
- For the loaf cake:
- 100g butter (softened)
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 small parsnips (grated)
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 100ml milk
- For the drizzle:
- The juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime (finely chopped)
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar (depending on your preference)
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan170C/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line a 900g loaf tin
- Beat the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the parsnip and desiccated coconut and stir through. Add as much milk as is required if the mixture looks dry.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the lime drizzle. Mix the lime juice, zest and sugar until it forms a thin syrup. Dip a teaspoon in to taste the syrup and add more sugar if desired.
- When the cake is ready, leave it to cool in the tin for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn the cake onto a wire rack placed over a dinner plate and make around 20 holes in the top of the cake with a skewer. Make the 5 holes in the middle quite deep (around half the height of the cake).
- Drizzle over the lime syrup and leave for 2 hours to cool completely or overnight.