Bramley Apple & Lentil Soup
Member recipe by llcoolbaz
A great lunch dish which can be mildly spiced for children, or a perfect dinner party starter
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 Bramley apples (approx 450g), peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 125g split red lentils
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 250ml coconut cream
- To serve:
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt
- Small handful of coriander leaves
- Warm naan bread, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and then add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds. Dry fry for a minute or so until they release their aroma and pop around in the pan. Remove half of the seeds and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan, and once it is hot, stir in the carrots, apple and celery. Fry for about 5 minutes, and then add the lentils, stock and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, covered with a lid, until the carrots and lentils are tender.
- Blitz the soup until smooth, and season with salt and pepper. To serve, spoon into bowls, add a spoon of yoghurt on top, scatter with the reserved spices, and add a few coriander leaves. Serve with warm naan bread.