Member recipe by rcmorris
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Muffins
With less sugar content than traditional cupcakes, these American style muffins are delicious and couldn't be easier to make. They are entirely free of eggs and dairy too!
- 250g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 50g golden castor sugar
- 3 fl.oz sunflower oil
- 9 fl oz soya milk
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- (e.g. Nielsen-Massey Madagascan)
- 120g fresh or frozen blackcurrants
- 25g golden castor sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- First prepare your muffin tin.
- If you have paper cases for muffins, place in the tin. Otherwise, grease the muffin tin well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together into a large mixing bowl.
- Measure the soya milk and sunflower oil in a measuring jug. Whisk together with a fork and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ones and combine well but don't overbeat the mixture if you want super light cakes. I generally use a fork to incorporate everything and press out any lumps! Carefully fold in the blackcurrants.
- Using a spoon, divide the mixture into the 12 muffin cases or tin. Mix the sugar and mixed spice in a small bowl or empty margarine container box. Using a teaspoon or the corner of the container as a pourer, sprinkle over the top of the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until well-risen, springy and golden.If using paper cases, transfer the muffins immediately to a wire rack to cool. If not, leave in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning out.