Baked plum sponge
Member recipe by tweety_anja
Perfect for the first plums of autumn in a light, sweet and spongy batter
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour, sieved
- 8-10 ripe plums, stones removed and cut into quarters
- extra caster sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well between additions.
- Mix in the extract and then fold in the flour. Scrape the batter into a 24cm baking dish that has been slightly greased and scatter the plums on top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Sprinkle with sugar
- Serve with custard or cream