Beef, Ale & Walnut Casserole
Member recipe by Opies
Traditional beef and Ale Casserole with Opies Famous Pickled Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg (2 1/2 lb) chuck steak cut into 2.5cm (1 in) cubes
- 1 large onion diced into 1 cm (1/2 in) cubes
- 50g (2 oz) plain flour
- 500ml (18 fl oz) beef stock
- 500ml (18 fl oz) strong ale
- 25g (1 oz) tomato puree,
- 2 heaped teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 15g (1/2 oz) granulated sugar
- salt and pepper (season to taste)
- 1 jar (390g) Opie's pickled walnuts, drained and cut into halves
- Pre-heat oven to 160 C/325 F/ Gas Mark 3. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole, add beef, and cook over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes until browned all over.
- Using a slotted spoon remove beef from casserole to a plate. Fry onion in casserole, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until soft, not coloured. Add flour and cook stirring continuously for 1 minute. Add beef stock, ale, tomato puree, thyme, bay, sugar slt and pepper and bring to boil, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Return beef to the casserole, and bring back to boil. Cover casserole and cook in pre-heated oven, for approximately 2 hours or until tender.
- Add walnuts for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.