Coffee Walnut Ice Cream
Member recipe by munatycooking
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons brewed black coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- In a bowl beat the yolks with sugar until creamy and lighter in color. In a saucepan, add the cream and milk. When it simmers, remove from heat.
- While whisking the eggs, gradually add the cream and milk mixture. To get a smoother, silkier texture, strain the mixture through a sieve and pour it back in the saucepan.
- Keep stirring the custard on medium heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Draw a line at the back of the spoon and if both ends don'ÂÂt meet, the custard is ready. Remove from heat immediately and pour in different bowl.
- Add coffee and vanilla, and stir.
- Prepare a chilled water bath with cubes of ice. Place the bowl on top and keep stirring the custard until it cools.
- Cover the custard with plastic allowing the plastic to touch the custard'ÂÂs surface. Refrigerate the custard overnight or 6 hours. This will thicken the custard and blend the flavors well.
- Transfer the custard to the chilled container of the ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturerÃ¢ÂÂs instructions.
- When done, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer.