Member recipe by charl91
- For the cake:
- 10oz self raising flour
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz butter (softened)/margarine
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp espresso powder
- For the icing:
- 8oz icing sugar
- 6oz butter (softened)/margarine
- 4oz cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to GM6
- Cream the sugar and butter together until very light in colour and smooth. Add the eggs and mix well (if the mixture curdles at all add some flour, a tbsp at a time, and mix in well).
- Sift in the flour and mix until smooth. Add milk and stir again.
- Add the coffee powder a tbsp at a time and combine well.
- Grease two 9" circle tins with butter and coat in flour. Split the mixture between the two equally and level with the back of a spoon. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 - 40 mins (poke a skewer into the centre, if cooked it will come out clean).
- For the icing: Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into the butter and cream together. Smother a third of the icing all over the top of one sponge and sandwich the other on top. Cover the top of this sponge with the rest of the icing.