Sausage meat Jalouise
Member recipe by elliem97
- 368g packet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 large onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 225g sausage meat
- 25g cheddar cheese, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh breadcrumbs
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Milk to glaze
- Pre-heat the oven: 200C/fan gas mark 6. Prepare a baking tray rinse with cold water.
- Make a filling: in a large bowl mix together the onion, sausage meat, cheese, tomato puree, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Cover and chill until required.
- Divide the pastry into equal pieces and roll each piece out to an oblong approx 30cm x 20cm. Trim if necessary. Place one piece on the damp baking tray.
- Spread the filling onto the pastry; to within 2cm of the edge. Brush the edge of the pastry with water.
- Prepare the top of the jalouise: fold pastry in half lengthwise and using a pair of scissors cut through the folded edge within 2cm of the open edges. Open out carefully and place on top of the filling. Seal the edges with a fork and trim off the uneven edge. 'Knock up' the four edges of the jalouise. Brush the top with milk.
- Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown in colour. Remove from the oven. Serve the jalouise hot or cold, cut into slices.