Cherry Meringue Roulade
Member recipe by voice1
Opies classic cocktail cherries contain only the finest cherries, preserved in our specially flavoured syrup.
- 5 egg whites
- 275 grams caster sugar
- 20 grams flaked almonds
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 150 ml double cream
- 200 ml Greek yoghurt
- 225 grams Opies cocktail cherries
- TO DECORATE:
- Icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6. Line a 33cm x 23 cm Swiss roll tin with greased non stick baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric whisk until very stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar keeping the mixer on full speed. Whisk well in between each addition.
- Whisk until all the sugar has been added and the mixture is very, very stiff and glossy.
- Spread the mixture into the lined tin and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes until golden.
- Lower the temperature to 160C/320F/Gas 3 and bake for a further 15 minutes until crisp and firm to the touch.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and place almond side down onto a sheet of non stick baking paper. Remove the paper from the base of the cooked meringue and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Lightly whip the cream and mix with the yoghurt. Spread evenly of the meringue. Cut the cherries in quarters and sprinkle over the cream mixture.
- Roll up the meringue firmly, use the paper to help keep the roll very tight.Wrap in non stick baking paper and chill before serving.Serve dusted with icing sugar.