Member recipe by sarah_clk
ServingsServes 1 - 16 Portions
Soft mounds of pumpkin flavoured cake/cookie sandwiched together with marshmallow.
- For the sponge
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 200g brown sugar (light or dark or mix 50:50)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 200g pumpkin puree (I used Libby's canned)
- 250g plain flour - sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger or mixed spice
- For the filling
- 16 - 18 marshallows - I used Haribo's
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment
- Whisk together the oil, sugar and vanilla untill combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and whisk until creamy then add the egg and combine.
- Sift the flour, raising agents and spices in to the pumpkin mixture and fold until fully combined.
- Spoon mixture in to a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle and pipe the mixture on to the prepared baking trays. Try to make 30 - 36 round mounds , you may need to use 2-3 trays or bake in batches as they should be 2-3cm appart as they may spread during baking. If you dont have a piping bag just spoon the mixture on to the trays.
- Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until the mounds spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove 1/2 the whoopies from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Turn over the other 1/2 of the whoopies over so that the flat bottom is facing up and place a whole marshmallow on the top . Return them to the oven for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are just starting to soften. (Don't let them get too soft or else they will make a big mess when you try to join them together!)
- Remove the whoopies from the oven and sandwich one with marshmallow to one without.