Baked Vanilla and Honey Figs
Member recipe by lenella
Baked figs with orange, honey and vanilla, served with a vanilla yoghurt
- For the figs
- 4 figs
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp runny orange blossom honey
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 vanilla pod)
- For the yoghurt
- 200 ml fat free natural yoghurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- For the figs. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Wash and dry the figs, cut the stem off and then mark with a cross, cutting about half way through the figs.
- Using a coarse grater zest 1/2 the orange. Put the orange peel in a small saucepan, along with the honey and vanilla bean paste. Heat on a low heat until the honey begins to bubble.
- Add the figs to the honey mixture. Baste the honey over the figs. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put the figs into an oven-proof dish, pour over the honey syrup. Bake for 5 minutes, then baste in the syrup, bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the dish.
- For the yoghurt. Mix the yoghurt with the vanilla bean paste and sweeten with 2 tsp of sugar (or to taste).
- When the figs are cool enough to handle, place into two small ramekins, pouring over most of the syrup (saving some to garnish). Add the yoghurt and drizzle the syrup over the top. Chill for 15 minutes and serve.