Lamb Tray Bake
Member recipe by flawsome
- 2 loin lamb chops, trimmed
- 1 medium potato, weighing approximately 6 oz (175 g)
- 1 level teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 dessertspoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ripe red tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 2 level tablespoons tinned chopped Italian tomatoes
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- First of all peel the potato and cut it into small (½ inch, 5 mm) cubes, then put the cubes in a clean tea-cloth and dry them as thoroughly as possible. The rosemary should be crushed or bruised with a pestle and mortar, then finely chopped
- Next peel the garlic and cut a few slivers off; then, using a sharp knife, make a few little pockets in the chops and insert a small sliver of garlic into each one (the rest of the garlic should be chopped small). Now place the gratin dish on a high heat and heat the oil in it.
- As soon as it's hot add the cubes of potato, the onion and the chopped garlic and toss them around in the hot oil. Then make two spaces amongst the potato etc, and sit the chops in them. Sprinkle half the rosemary over the chops and the rest over the potatoes. Season everything with salt and pepper, then transfer the gratin dish to the high shelf in the oven to bake (uncovered) for about 25 minutes.
- After that remove the dish, spoon the chopped tomatoes into the potatoes, and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Then serve the chops with the potato mixture spooned over them.