Cherry and Almond Cake
Member recipe by voice1
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
- 175 grams butter
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond essence
- 3 eggs - beaten
- 75 grams flaked almonds
- 1 lemon - grated rind
- 100 grams plain flour
- 100 grams self raising flour
- 200 grams Opies cocktail cherries - well drained and cut in half
- TO DECORATE:
- Icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/ 325F/ Gas 3.
- Line a 20cm deep cake tin with greased non-stick baking paper.
- Place the cherry halves in a small bowl and coat with 1tbs of the flour. Put to one side.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and cream together.
- Add the almond essence and then gradually add the eggs, beating well in between each addition.
- Stir in 60g of flaked almonds and the lemon rind.
- Fold in both flours and then gently fold in the cherries.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Sprinkle the remaining almonds over the surface and then bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.