Epic Chilli Con Carne
Member recipe by davebudd
Hot, dark, and with intense flavours, this is the Rolls Royce of Chilli. It's really easy but takes time - it's a labour of love, and totally worth it!
- 1kg of good quality stewing steak (cliche but makes a big difference - say NO to Tesco!)
- For the marinade:
- Cumin (2 heaped tsp)
- Chilli powder (2 heaped tsp)
- Nutmeg (1 heaped tsp)
- Paprika (2 heaped tsp)
- Cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon or 1 stick)
- Pepper (20 ground peppercorns)
- Garlic (6 cloves)
- Chillis x2 deseeded (or not) to your taste
- large red onion diced
- Tomato puree (2 heaped tsp)
- English mustard (1 heaped tsp)
- Olive oil glug
- glass of white wine
- glass of red wine
- triple whisky (a cheapo is fine - I use Bells)
- For cooking:
- Beef stock (pint)
- Brown sugar to taste (2 teaspoons for me)
- Half hour before end:
- 2 red peppers sliced and briefly fried
- Kidney beans x2 tins
- To finish:
- Chilli (deseeded and finely sliced)
- Garlic clove (finely sliced)
- Good tomatoes x3 sliced into quarters
- bunch parsley rough chopped
- bunch coriander rough chopped
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- To serve:
- Soured cream
- Mix together all marinade ingredients in a bowl and leave at least over night. Two days better.
- Add the 'for cooking' ingredients and slow cook covered in the oven on 150 C (gas 4) for 4 hours.
- Add the red peppers (don't forget to fry first!) and kidney beans half an hour before the end.
- Finish with the 'to finish' ingredients - stir into the dish 5 minutes before serving - just enough time to heat them through. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with as many or few as the accoutrements as you wish! The more the better!