Albanian Leek Soup
Member recipe by hestonchef
Albanian Leek soup with a little spice to warm you on a cold winter day!
- 1 Medium leek
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- Minced beef
- 1 cup Beef or Lamb stock
- 1 tbsp Chopped celery
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 2 Bird's eye chili peppers
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp Mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground Black or mixed peppercorns
- tbsp=Tablespoon, g=grams, tsp=tea spoon
- Wash, then slice a medium sized leek. Each slice should be about 2 cm thick.
- Add leek to a saucepan of simmering water. Keep water simmering and reduce the temperature if the water starts to boil.
- Halve an onion, remove the skin then chop half of the onion into small cubes.
- Add groundnut oil to a frying pan on a low heat and wait for the oil to sizzle. When you hear a sizzling noise, add the chopped onion to the frying pan. Wait for the onion to turn very slightly brown, then add to the saucepan.
- Lightly fry the minced beef stake in the frying pan which was used to fry the onions (leave residue from onions in pan). This is to add the flavour from the onion to the beef and to seal the meat. Add the beef and your stock to the saucepan.
- Chop a small amount of celery, only about a tablespoon and add to the saucepan to thicken the soup. (optional)
- Add 1 tsp tomato puree to the soup mixture.
- Mince 1 clove of garlic and mix with the soup.
- Chop off the end of each chilly where the stalks are attached. Cut through the middle of each chilly and remove all seeds. Chop both chillies very finely and add to the saucepan.
- Add the juice of a small lemon and season with your choice of mixed herbs, salt and freshly ground black or mixed peppercorns. Bring to the boil and it is now ready to serve. Enjoy your meal.