Norwegian Fruit Cake
Member recipe by jamespursey
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Slices
- 250g good quality butter (at room temperature)
- 250g sugar (try experimenting with different sugars, eg Demerara, Muscovado ... )
- 5 eggs
- 250g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large lemon (juice and zest)
- 125g currents
- Ground or flaked almonds
- Pearl sugar
- Wash and grate the lemon peel finely. Press the lemon and keep the juice for later.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one complete egg and mix well. Repeat until all eggs are incorporated. Then whisk the mixture energetically for several seconds (this is best done with an electric mixer on full speed)
- Add the lemon juice and zest and mix into the mixture.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix into the mixture, then fold in the currents
- Line a small baking tin (eg, 20cm x 20 cm) with baking paper and fill with the batter.
- Sprinkle the top with the ground or flaked almonds and the pearl sugar.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for about 30 to 35 minutes. Check that the cake is fully cooked by inserting a knife in the middle - if the knife is dry then the cake is ready, otherwise put back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the baking tin (be careful: some of the almonds and crystal sugar will still be loose!)