Healthy Superfood Flapjacks
Member recipe by emmalousmurth
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Squares
Great for quick tasty breakfast or a mid morning snack, low in sugar, low gi and packed full of nutrients and antioxidants.
- 300g roughly chopped dates
- 220g oats (whatever kind you have to hand - I use regular rolled oats)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- A generous handful of blueberries
- A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar (or whatever kind you have to hand)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan Gas 4 and grease a shallow 7" square tin/pan.
- Put the dates in a small pan with about 4 tablespoons of water and heat gently, stirring, until they form a stiff paste. If it's looking a little dry add more water and heat a bit more.
- Whilst that's happening you can measure out your oats in a separate bowl and add the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, spices and roughly mix them all together.
- Put the sugar, syrup, honey and butter into another large saucepan and heat gently, stirring to melt it all together. Add the oat mix and date paste then mix well.
- Press into your tin/pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until set and light golden brown. Cut into squares when warm but leave to cool in the tin.
- Store in an airtight container and use within a week, although I seriously doubt they'll last that long!