Member recipe by becwok
A warming hearty sausage dish. Perfect for those cold winter evenings.
- Note: To skin sausages: soak in cold water for a few minutes, then cut skin off with scissors.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 Toulouse sausages (pork, bacon with red wine & garlic, available from Sainsburys) - skinned and sliced
- 1 packet chipolatas - skinned and sliced
- 1 Onion - chopped
- 1 stick celery - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 150g chesnut mushrooms - halved
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 250ml glass red wine
- 400g can chickpeas - drained
- 1 sweet pepper - grilled, skinned and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- sprig thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley, and some to serve
- tbsp tomato puree
- splash of worcester sauce to taste
- Approx 150ml water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to season
- Heat a large pan, preferably a heavy bottomed one. Add olive oil.
- Add sausages and brown, then remove with a slotted spoon, leaving cooking juices.
- Add celery, carrot and onion, soften but don't let them colour, Add garlic and continue cooking for a further 3 or 4 mins
- Add mushrooms, cook another 2 - 3 mins. Add more oil if required.
- Add skinned pepper, tomatoes, wine, chickpeas, sausages water, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, tomato puree, worcester sauce.. season with salt and black pepper
- Bring pan to boil, turn down to simmer NO LID. Cook until sausages are cooked, and liquid reduced a little. (approx 20 - 30 mins) Stir occasionally and taste, adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with brown rice. sprinkle with chopped parsley. Also good with white rice, or pasta.