Spinach and onion mash
Member recipe by squeaksquara
- 6 medium-large potatoes
- 4 balls of frozen spinach
- 2 medium onions
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 knob of butter
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Chop up your washed and peeled potatoes fairly small as this allows for less boiling time and makes them easier to mash. Salt the water and leave potatoes to boil until soft.
- When potatoes are about 5 minutes away from being done, begin to lightly fry up some finely chopped onions. When they're soft, add 4-5 balls of frozen spinach. (Frozen spinach works better than the fresh stuff here because its already really finely chopped and the fresh stuff is a pain to mash up, it ends up being quite stringy).
- When the onions are looking like they're about done and the spinach balls have broken down into a kind of mush, add your diced garlic clove. Continue frying for a couple of minutes then take the pan off the heat.
- Drain off your boiled spuds and mash them a bit just to get them going. Add the milk and repeat, then finally add the pepper and the butter and repeat once more until the mash is good and creamy.
- Add your spinach and onions to the mix and mash it all up a bit just so it gets nicely mixed in. Goes great as an accompaniment to meat or fish dishes.