Gluten Free Orange Cake
Member recipe by demuredomestic
A tangy wheat free indulgence accompanied with an oozing cinnamon and orange syrup that seduces you after the first bite.
- FOR THE CAKE
- - 220g gluten free plain flour
- - 250g ground almonds
- - 200g golden caster sugar
- - 2 tsp baking powder
- - 2 oranges finely peeled and chopped zest and juiced
- - 4 eggs
- - greek yoghurt to serve
- ORANGE SYRUP
- - ground cinnamon
- - 2 oranges zested and juiced
- - 275g granulated sugar
- Prior an hour before baking, make sure you take your butter and eggs out of the fridge and leave until they are at ROOM TEMPERATURE. This way they're easier to use when baking and let's face it, nobody wants a cake with lumps of chilled protruding butter!
You would think to leave making the syrup til last but trust me - DO IT FIRST! In order to get that real gorgeous syrupy thickness, the sugar will take a good while to get to that stage during boiling! Now, to make your syrup, add the orange zest, juice and sugar into a saucepan with 500ml of water and bring slowly to simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cinnamon slowly as you do (personally it's always best to add very little each time, unless you're an ultra lover of cinnamon you do want to catch that tangyness of the orange as well to it!) Turn the heat up briefly to get it boiling, then immediately reduce the heat right down and stir until syrupy.