Member recipe by cattaz999
- FOR THE PASTRY:
- -180g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- -80g butter, at room temperacture
- -50g sugar, granulated or caster
- -1 egg
- FOR THE FILLING:
- -5 eggs
- -200g sugar, granulated or caster
- -juice of 4 lemons
- -250ml double cream
- -icing sugar and lemon zest, to serve
- To make the pastry, place the flour, butter, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and use the rubbing-in method to incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then bind into a ball. This step can also be done with a food processor to save time by pulsing the ingredients together.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a large circle and use to line a 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed flan tin or fluted ceramic quiche tin. Chill for at least 20 minutes, meanwhile prepare the filling. Grating the zest to decorate when serving and juicing the lemons can take a while.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until combined. Beat in the lemon juice, the whisk in the cream (this can easily be done by hand).
- Preheat the oven to 190C (gas 5). Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans, and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, and bake for 5 minutes, or until the base is crisp.
- Reduce the oven to 140C (gas 1). Place the tart tin on a baking tray. Pour in the lemon filling, don't worry if it slightly overfills the pastry case. Bake for at least 30 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve dusted with icing sugar and sprinkled with lemon zest over the top.