Member recipe by debbie31
This is a favorite way to cook and eat Smoked Herring in the Caribbean. When prepared this way, it can be eaten with rice, bread,
- When cooked this way, this dish is served for lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20minutes
- Yield: Serves 3
- 8 oz smoked herring fillets
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Minced hot pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp minced thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green onions sliced thinly - white and green
- Add the smoked herring filets to a sauce pan with water, cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and drain thoroughly. When cool enough to handle, chop fish into tiny pieces and set aside.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat Toss in onions and saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, pepper, garlic and thyme and continue to saute for a minute.
- Add fish and toss to mix, cook for 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and green onions; remove from heat. Serve immediately or at room temperature.