Member recipe by paulafletcher
- 175g Risotto Rice
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 60g Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Pesto
- 60g Breadcrumbs, dried
- 5 tbsp Oil, for frying
- 6 Basil Leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Could also add 2 thin slices prosciutto, (air-dried ham, such as parma), cut into 1cm squares
- For presentation purposes, you can serve with tomato marinara sauce
- Place the rice and stock cube in a saucepan and pour in 900ml (11/2 pints) water. Place over a high heat, and bring to the boil. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is just tender.
- Drain the rice thoroughly, then stir in the cheese and pesto and allow to cool.
- Using dampened hands, divide the rice and roll into walnut-sized balls. Roll in the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- Heat about 1cm (1/2in) oil in a frying pan. Fry the balls for 5-10 minutes, or until crisp and golden on the outside. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with basil leaves (if desired). Alternatively, the balls can be deep-fried for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.