Spicy Lamb & Carrot Meatballs
Member recipe by mustardcomms
Counts as 4 of your 5-a-day and contains over a third of your RDA of vitamin C and iron. For more carrot recipes visit www.britishcarrots.co.uk
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 (400g) pack lean lamb mince
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50g/2oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh or 5ml/1tsp dried mint
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp ground coriander
- 2.5ml/1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 egg yolk
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (700g) bottle passata sauce with basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely grate the carrots and reserve half for the sauce. Place the remainder in a bowl with the mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, mint, spices and egg yolk and mix together. Divide into 28 pieces then roll each into a small ball. If time allows, chill for 20 mins.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan, when hot, add a little of the oil and the meatballs. Cook over a high heat for about 8 mins, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the meatballs until they are golden brown all over.
- Stir in the chopped onion and remaining carrots then fry for a further 2 mins. Pour in the passata sauce, season well, then cover and simmer uncovered for 6-8 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve with freshly cooked pasta.