Summer chicken stew
Member recipe by chris210
- sunflower oil
- 350g onion (button onions are best, but sliced normal work too)
- 5 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 500ml dry cider (real west country cider!)
- 100g button mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 150g CrÃÂ¨me fraÃÂ®che
- bay leaf
- If using a casserole, preheat the oven to 120C. Heat some oil in a frying pan, add the onions and brown. Add garlic to pan and fry for 2 minutes. Add to casserole or slow cooker.
- Cut the carrots into matchsticks, throw on top of the onions.
- Add chicken breasts to the pan and brown on all sides. Dont worry if they are not cooked all the way through, we just want the outsides nice and brown. Add to
- de-glaze the pan with the cider, throw in the stock cube, dissolve and then throw into the casserole/ slow cooker. Add some salt and pepper (only a pinch) and bay leaf. Cook in oven/ slow cooker on medium for 4 hours.
- Add the CrÃÂ¨me fraÃÂ®che, herbs and more seasoning (taste, add, taste, add, etc.). Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and summer veg, garnished with freshly chopped parsley. Drink with a glass of dry cider.