Simple Cinnamon Rolls
Member recipe by tjkent2426
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Rolls
- 350g/12oz self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g/3.5oz butter, melted and extra for greasing
- 2 egg yolks
- 200ml/7 fl oz milk, extra for glazing
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 55g/2oz brown sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 125g/4.5 oz icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- about 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grease a 20-cm/8-inch round tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, salt, caster sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Whisk the butter, egg yolks and milk together and combine the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a large piece of waxed paper, lightly sprinkled with flour, and roll out to a rectangle 30 x 25cm/12 x 10 inches.
- To make the filling mix the ingredients together, spread evenly over the dough and roll up, Swiss-roll style to form a log. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 even-sized slices and pack into the prepared tin. Brush gently with extra milk and bake in a preheated oven, 180C/350F, for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Sift icing sugar into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Place the cream cheese and butter in the centre, pour over the water and stir to mix. Add extra boiling water, a few drops at a time, until the frosting coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the vanilla essence, then drizzle the icing over the rolls. Serve warm or cold.